Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 18 14 3:52 PM

Tags : :

I look at the large monitor at Celtic Park on Sunday evening and it states the time as 17:12hrs, I've just seen Aberdeen win the Scottish League Cup final thus ending circa 18 years without a trophy.
I'm shattered but ecstatic and the party is just starting but my voice is gone and its taken 90mins of football, 30mins of extra time and 6 Penalties before Inverness Caley Thistle are defeated - I turn to my lad and say I hope tomorrow night we win in normal time!
So fast forward and its now roughly 25 hours later and I'm joining the M55 destination Reebok Stadium Bolton as we are now heading for our second final in 2 days as the Coasters go head to head with Chorley to retain the Lancashire Cup.
Last season v Bacup I was nervous, tonight I'm in a fairly confident mood and that confidence rises as by sheer quirk of fate three of the records that was played at the Scots League Cup final as part of the celebrations are played on the radio one after the other , we're both in full belt (although still very hoarse!) as we add our players favourites names into the songs thus wrecking copyright and hours of work for the song writers and also giving the impression of a couple of nutters to other car drivers as we are 'bouncing' as we now turn onto the M6 and M61.
Its quickly off the Motorway and then a slight delay as Chorley fans don't seem to be able to work out that 'big car park = easy to park car and they struggle to find spots amongst the 6,000 or so empty spaces !
An unusual bonus in the frustrations of being delayed is that Radio Lancashire give our club a mention and are actually covering the game (on MW) , I get the feeling they fancy Chorley, I know they are wrong !
Into the ground and its pleasing to note its probably 21 degree's warmer than last year (slight exaggeration - I did get frost bite last year though !).
A slightly amended looking team for us but have to say it looks strong on paper but having a strong team on paper counts for nothing if its not well coached or the team lacks spirit and fight, luckily our boys have the latter in bucket loads and in Chally and Colin we have a double act that everyone has confidence in.
For me its a slow start but straight away I like the way we are stroking the ball around the surface and its clear playing on a quality pitch suits us more than Chorley as being somewhat kind its safe to say we're not the only fans who have noticed Chorleys 'bobbly' pitch does help them somewhat at home.
The game goes on and I must admit I'm getting a little narked that we aren't going for a Chorley team that suffered another defeat at the weekend and in effect I feel we are giving them way too much respect however those concerns ease as Mr Winter starts to stamp his style on the game and Bradley starts to pass and move as only he does, Lloydy is getting more involved and Blinks is already winning his battles with the Chorley defence.
The first goal comes and in mid celebration I'm certain the liner flags after the event thus I stop mid stream, of course its my eyes playing tricks and Andy Russell is totally mobbed by our lads as he celebrates a goal against his former club and probably enjoys it after all the stick the lessor educated Chorley fans have been giving him of late on various forums.
The only threat Chorley seem to have is Deano and he is playing well and winning a lot of the long ball punts they resort to , clearly the warning's we have had from poor defending from a couple of previous corners aren't heeded as he scores a typical goal to put them back in it at 1-1, he also shows a total lack of class by celebrating in front of the Coasters fans kissing his badge and mouthing off.
Now I've no real issues with that (witness Andy Russell earlier) however lets have things right here, I have read virtually no discouraging marks about any of our ex players since they went to Chorley and all have gone with the best wishes of the fans, Deano hasn't been booed by our fans or insulted on the football forums (as per Russell and ironically Dorney - until he went back!)so quite why he feels the need to do that is odd but seeing his celebrations on New Years Day maybe it shows he's changed as a person since he went to Chorley and likes to feel a victim, very sad and a bit stereotypical (he should sign for FC united he'd fit in well.......oh all right I'm being bitchy !).
The set back doesn't seem to stop the Coasters and we carry on playing football as it should be played to try and get back in the game.
Just as I think it's going to be 1-1 at the break up pops Mr Winter and we go in 2-1 up (and fully deserving of it).
After 2 days of backing my teams my voice is now as strong as a Toads, hope the second half is easier !
At half time I have a glance around and look at a lot unfamiliar faces in what is a very good Coasters support - this club is clearly going places in that department as word is spreading about the good things going on.
The second half starts and even though I don't think we are playing our best football of the season I'm also very comfortable of what we are doing, Barnsey is however having a blinder and with Paul Jarvis going off for Chorley he now has a free reign on the right wing with Lloydy very effective on the left with Adam Sumner an always willing player pushing forward (wish Adam would push forward more - very classy left back).
A Casper shot hits the side netting (many of us thought it went in !) and a few snatched shots but nothing too taxing for the Chorley keeper however Ben is also having a fairly quiet evening with even less regulation saves.
A Chorley 'fan' shows himself up and runs across the pitch with his top off (the stewards ignore him and I suspect he ran straight to McDonalds looking at the state of him) slightly delaying the game and around the same time Adam cops a nasty looking challenge that see's his arm in the sling later on.
Finally Barnsey shows all in the ground just how good he is as he takes two quality goals that ensures he also walks out with a bottle of bubbly and the Man of the Match award from the Reebok, the majority of Chorley 'fans' depart and its just the usual Chorley die hards left as the final whistle blows to applaud there lads off the pitch as the 2nd party in two days starts for me and my lad except this time its the massed AFC Fylde fans who are in good voice (as they was all though the game), the Coasters have pretty much Coasted and its a 4-1 win.
All that's left is the the small matter of the Trophy presentation and celebrations and we return to a much quieter car park and head out on to the motorways home again in buoyant mood.

A fantastic weekend , with a fantastic achievement by both clubs, just need the strepsils now to keep me going, I'll be the one at the Stamford match on Saturday that sounds like Kermit the Frog.
See you then, Up the Coasters.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 18 14 6:38 PM

Re: LANC'S CUP : V Chorley

I for one had a fantastic night up in the dizzy hights of the North Stand in the media suite.

It was a brilliant game and Mike Barnes was a deserved man of the match (he had Jarvo in his pocket the whole game until he went off injured - don't get me wrong, I like Paul Jarvis a lot as a player and a person, but he didn't have his best game last night at all).

I couldn't sleep when I got home and I stayed up for a bit watching all the congratulatory tweets coming through and retweeting them. Annoyed to see one or two bitter fans of other clubs (surprisingly not all Chorley) sharing a few choice words about our victory but who cares we won and that will go down in history as one of the best AFC Fylde performances ever!

One down, two to go...

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 18 14 8:48 PM

I have to agree. It has been years since i was that pumped up after a football match. I had to apologise to Barnesy as I cheered so much for his first goal that i had very little voice left for the second.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 19 14 9:07 AM

I thought it was an excellent performance. If Fylde keep playing the way they are doing then it'll be much closer at the top than it actually is now. Chorley have a few tough games and so do FC United. I hope Worksop do too?!

I've enjoyed all 3 finals at the Reebok, but yesterday was the best of the lot. Keep it up Fylde, and keep Chorley's backsides squeaking!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Mar 19 14 6:31 PM

When Barnesy goes marching down the wing he shoots, he scores,
When all they see is ginger hair zooming past them through the air,
Michael Barnes has scored again for Fylde!

There you go, you can have that on me. I expect it to be sung at full voice in the mini stand behind the goal on Saturday!

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 20 14 9:01 AM

ChrisPark1986 wrote:

There you go, you can have that on me. I expect it to be sung at full voice in the mini stand behind the goal on Saturday!

That's a cracking one lol. I'd probably change the last line to "WE ALL KNOW THAT BARNSEY'S GONNA SCORE."

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Mar 20 14 6:44 PM

KirkhamWesham wrote:
ChrisPark1986 wrote:

That's a cracking one lol. I'd probably change the last line to "WE ALL KNOW THAT BARNSEY'S GONNA SCORE."

Yeah I like that ending...

We all know that Barnesy's gonna score!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help